Thursday, January 7, 2010

More Fantastic Stuff


So strangely enough, this is the second blog I've written (out of six or so) that is tagged with "gothic literature". I just wanted to share that I'm so excited, because my Christmas gift came today. Well, it's the only thing I spent a bit of Christmas money on (supplemented with a gift card). And it is my two-volume set of American Fantastic Tales. I'm excited to curl up in bed and read one scary story by famous American authors each evening (I have to do something to disturb myself before bed, since we watched the last episode of the latest season of Law and Order: SVU a couple nights ago). I love reading.

Quote from the Introduction: "[Gothic and fantastic literature] emerged as an expression of the universal sense of loss, grief, and terror produced by the gradual replacement of the Enlightenment's orderly, rational, reassuring world-view with the unstable and untrustworthy universe that came into being during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries." This is going to be a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment